Deep Tissue is a generic term used to describe bodywork which goes below superficial connective tissue with the intent of breaking up old structural patterns and allowing the free flow of nutrients and oxygen in the blood. Deep tissue requires that the therapist apply a considerable amount of pressure which in some cases may cause some discomfort.
Benefits of Deep Tissue
- Reduces pain
- Increases range of motion of limbs by restoring mobility
- Relaxes and sooth muscles
- Breaks up scar tissue due to injury
- Aids muscles to stay flexible
Who may benefit from Deep Tissue Massage
- Athletes (weekend athletes as well)
- Individuals with chronic joint or muscle injuries
- Individuals that perform repetitive work that causes considerable strain on muscles and joints
- Individuals who suffer from stress
It is generally perceived as male therapists being able to provide a better deep tissue massage than female therapists. This is a misinformed perception as deep tissue massage relies on proper massage technique which can be achieved in an effective manner by male and female therapists alike.